As the temperature rises and the parties last longer, you will find yourself reaching for those short, sexy skirts and dresses for nights out and days at the office alike. However, picking out the perfect pair of shoes for those knee-length or shorter hemlines can be difficult.
Luckily, a wide variety of shoes will go well with short skirts. Depending on the occasion, you can wear almost any style, from sandals to boots. Here are a few tips to consider before choosing footwear to go with that mini skirt or cocktail dress. I have included some examples of outfits that incorporate different styles of shoes with short hemlines for a summer party, a cocktail event and the office.
- Where will you be wearing your outfit? This is the first question you need to answer as this dictates the tone of your outfit. If you are going for business casual, stick to pumps. For a casual job, loafers will be fine. For a fun night out on the town, go for strappy high heel sandals! Finally, summer parties call for more casual wedge-heeled sandals and espadrilles.
- Choose color wisely. Black is standard for business. Navy shoes usually look best with navy outfits. A rich brown will casually complement all tan, navy and black-toned ensembles.
- Amp up the color when you’re wearing shoes for leisure. Instead of wearing black shoes with your little black dress, sport bright pink or hot red shoes. Or, if you’re wearing a solid-colored skirt or pair of pants, coordinate the color of your top with your shoes.
- Knee-high boots look adorable with short skirts, and they are perfect in the wintertime to keep your legs warm. Just make sure that if you have short legs, that you wear boots with a slight heel to elongate your look.
- Balance the weight of your garment with that of your shoes. Lightweight fabrics such as silk and linen are best accessorized with lightweight leather and micro fiber shoes. Heavier leather shoes and clunky heels will balance thicker skirts.
- Suede is considered more casual than leather, and patent leather will dress up your spring ensembles.
I put these outfits together using Polyvore‘s outfit creator. A very cool site!
Summer Party: I couldn’t decide between the yellow espadrilles and the orange sandals…which do you like better? Alana dress ($44.50, DeLiA’s), Ruched heart charm bag ($17.50, Wet Seal), Simmerr orange stacked heel ($69.95, Steve Madden), Straw wedge ($26.50, Wet Seal)
Little Black Dress: Marchesa tiered lace dress ($2,550, Net-A-Porter), Christian Louboutin Fontanete pump ($785, Barneys), Bjuliet satin clutch ($38, Steve Madden) The red clutch brings out the subtle red underbelly of the Christian Louboutin heels.
For The Office: Moschino high-waisted pencil skirt ($506.25, Net-A-Porter), Tory Burch Ruby linen top ($146.24, Net-A-Porter), Brian Atwood Nico stiletto heels ($724.50, Net-A-Porter), Prada Ombre Shopper Tote (rent it for $85/week at Bag Borrow or Steal) The ombre bag complements the two-toned shoes.
Tips for Baring Your Legs and Toes
- Make sure your legs are silky-smooth. Start by using a body scrub, such as Margarita Bloom’s Cosmopolitan Girl body glow. It will slough off all dead skin cells, leaving your skin radiating. Follow the body scrub with lotion, such as The It Girl Pink Champagne Bliss body butter.
- Touch up toenail polish, and be sure that the color you use complements your outfit. Also, exfoliate your feet using this Figi Footsies Fantasy scrub to smooth the rough parts of your feet and ensure that your feet look pretty in your shoes. Because no matter how beautiful the shoe, an unkempt foot will stand out like a sore thumb!